Victorian Indigenous Art Awards (VIAA)
Victorian Indigenous Art Awards (VIAA) Information:
Introduced in 2004, the VIAA were developed to:
- Support and acknowledge Victoria's Indigenous artists
- Raise the profile of the high quality and diversity of Indigenous art produced within Victoria.
- Showcase and increase the recognition of south eastern Indigenous art and build the Victorian Indigenous art industry by exhibiting it to wider audiences and potential buyers.
- The 2008 award winners will be announced at an awards ceremony on the 28th November 2008 and published on this website.
There are six award categories:
- Deadly Art Award - open to two and three dimensional works with cash prize of $10,000 plus $5,000 professional development support. Supported by Arts Victoria.
- Koorie Heritage Trust Acquisition Award - open to two and three dimensional works by artists who have not previously held a solo exhibition. Prize of $5,000 and in-kind support for a solo exhibition to the value of $5,000. Supported by Koorie Heritage Trust.
- NGV Acquisitive Prize - awarded to an outstanding independent or collaborative work. Open to two and three dimensional works. Prize $5,000. Suported by the National Gallery of Victoria.
- Lin Onus Award - for young artists aged 18030 for two and three dimensional works. Prize $3,000 and art materials to the value of $2,000. Supported by Peter Brock Foundation.
- Victorian Cultural Heritage Award - awarded for a work which is the result of research and/or oral history into cultural heritage, customs, ceremonies and/or events relating to the Aboriginal people of Victoria. Open to two and three dimensional works and creative writing, where writing is part of the visual artwork. Prize $5,000 sponsored by the Department of Planning and Community Development, Aboriginal Affairs Victoria.
- Boscia Galleries Award for Photography - This is an acquisitive award for two and three dimensional photographic works. Prize of $2,000 plus $1,000 in photographic supplies and in-kind support for development of a solo exhibition in a commercial gallery to the value of $5,000. Sponsored by Michele and Anthony Boscia.
Previous catalogues are available for download on the website.
Use the controls in the top left hand corner to move, enlarge and reduce the map.
Last modified: November 19, 2009 3:05 PM